Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Lift Off - Team Chippewa Update,1/5/06

My update from yesterday was made in the morning. We planned a leisurely day doing last minute shopping. At 2 pm we were in the Galleria Mall, their biggest, when we received a call from Dockwise. We were to load at 8 am the next morning, this morning. It is a 2 to 3 hour trip from our marina toPort Everglades. It gets light enough to see around 7 am. Traveling the backwaters of the canals in the dark is not an option. Shallow water, the channel 10 yards wide in spots, 4 lift bridges and 5 knot current! We have to move the boat right away to someplace closer to Port Everglades. We head for the marina area near the 17th St Bridge and stop at the first marina wefind, Pier 66. Yes, they have a slip. We take a look at it and it looks great. We take off for Lauderdale Marine Center, 4 miles and 40 minutes away, thank goodness it isn’t rush hour. We check out and shove off. Five knots of current in narrow channels lined with multimillion dollar yachts makes for exciting boating, if you are properly insured. We make Pier 66 in the light. We must take on fuel but, there is a very strong tidecurrent running directly into the fuel dock. No problem, slack tide in 2 hours and there is a bar upstairs. We drift into the fuel dock, totally out of control, making a very positive landing. We got our 15 gallons and went to the bar to wait out the tide. Even with the wait getting away was challenging. Now to our slip. Our slip??? When we left it at 2:15 it was a wonderful little slip. Since then a demolition team had moved in and it was all concrete rubble and bare rebar. No place to tie to and no place tojump to. After a few moments of confusion we made the best of it. We were too tired to move to another. We have one more job left, inflate our 4 new15” round fenders we will need for Dockwise. Problem! The pump that came with them is not strong enough to overcome their valves. We give up. Then a phone call from Dockwise. Loading time has been rescheduled to 2 pm.____. _____. _____. You fill in the blanks. This morning we got a high pressure bike pump for the fenders. It worked great. You will see in the pictures that Chippewa now has big balls, big orange balls. We bridged through at 1:30 and headed for Port Everglades. We found our ship, the Dockwise Explorer, radioed a check in. We were on time. The radio seemed a little scratchy. Checking the squelch gave no static??? The antenna wire, I didn't connect it at the mast. The wire is under the floorboards under a ton of stuff. Oh well, get to work. I finally got the wire connected and made contact with Explorer. All was well. We were back home at 5:00. This is really good Sake. Dave


Post a Comment

<< Home